Schnauzer Max, Rosa and Thomas's FAVOURITE Liver Bread Recipe
My schnauzers Max, Rosa and Thomas's favourite treat in all the world is Schnauzer Liver Bread. I like it because I know exactly what is in it and it has no preservatives. It is really quick and easy to make and I then store in my freezer and use as and when required. It is great for for treats for training, as a snack and to crumble on top of their food. You can also use the same recipe to make a birthday cake or muffins.
How do you make this lovely treat .....
Puree in Blender:
Puree in Blender:
- 500g raw liver (Any good quality liver. I usually buy calf/cows liver from the butcher. A tip is to ask the butcher to already chop it up/mash it up for you)
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoon syrup
- 2 ½ cups whole-wheat flour (or substitute with potato or rice flour if you don't want wheat. I normally replace part of the flour with cooked mashed sweet potato or pumpkin)
- 1 tea spoon baking soda (bicarbonate soda)
- 1 tablespoon green onion spice
- Add the blended mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed.
- Place mixture in a greased flat baking tray. Bake at 180ºC for about 12 minutes. (Check cooked through)
- Once cooled, I cut into squares and serve.
- I also freeze most of it and just take out pieces as needed.
- Substitute part with some mashed sweet potato, mashed pumpkin or/and with potato or rice flour if you don't want wheat)
- Muffins: Place mixture in greased muffin tins. Bake at 180ºC for about 20 minutes. (Check cooked through)
- Birthday Cake: Place mixture in greased cake tins. Bake at 180ºC for about 25 minutes. (Check cooked through)
- Be brave and add things that make sense. Some people add marmite, other spices, more vegies, more liver etc. Just have FUN.
- For birthdays decorate with biltong and add a candle.
- You could use low fat smooth cream cheese or peanut butter to decorate (or mix both) . You can then stick doggy biscuits on if you make a cake. Just don't use too much.