Schnauzer Max, Rosa and Thomas's FAVOURITE Liver Bread Recipe
My schnauzers Max, Rosa, Thomas and Annabella's favourite treat in all the world is Schnauzer Liver Bread. I like it because I know exactly what is in it and it has no preservatives. It is really quick and easy to make and I then store in my freezer and use as and when required. It is great for for treats for training, as a snack and to crumble on top of their food. You can also use the same recipe to make a birthday cake or muffins.
How do you make this lovely treat .....
Puree in Blender:
Puree in Blender:
- 500g raw liver (Any good quality liver. I usually buy calf/ox liver from the butcher. A tip is to ask the butcher to already chop it up/mash it up for you)
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoon syrup
- 2 ½ cups whole-wheat flour (or substitute with potato or rice flour if you don't want wheat. I normally replace part of the flour with cooked mashed sweet potato or pumpkin)
- 1 tea spoon baking soda (bicarbonate soda)
- 1 tablespoon green onion spice
- Add the blended mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed.
- Place mixture in a greased flat baking tray. Bake at 180ºC for about 12 minutes. (Check cooked through)
- Once cooled, I cut into squares and serve.
- I also freeze most of it and just take out pieces as needed.
- Substitute part with some mashed sweet potato, mashed pumpkin or/and with potato or rice flour if you don't want wheat)
- Muffins: Place mixture in greased muffin tins. Bake at 180ºC for about 20 minutes. (Check cooked through)
- Birthday Cake: Place mixture in greased cake tins. Bake at 180ºC for about 25 minutes. (Check cooked through)
- Be brave and add things that make sense. Some people add marmite, other spices, more vegies, more liver etc. Just have FUN.
- For birthdays decorate with biltong and add a candle.
- You could use low fat smooth cream cheese or peanut butter to decorate (or mix both) . You can then stick doggy biscuits on if you make a cake. Just don't use too much.
More healthy treat ideas
Avoid commercial processed treats, especially when they are coloured etc. AVOID FAT and NO RAW HIDE! Stick to healthy natural treats like:
- home made liver bread (Recipe above)
- biltong (no fat)
- bits of steak
- scambled egg
- cooked/dried chicken
- bits of liver
- frozen peas
- apple pieces/frozen blue berries
- tinned tuna/ pilchards
- grated or whole carrot etc.
- raw marrow bones
- Click here for healthy treats from Dogs Naturally Magazine.
- Click here for healthy treats from Planet Paws