Roodewal Kennels - A South African Schnauzer Breeder "Puppy Farm"
Roodewal Kennels advertised in most of the animal magazines, on websites, Facebook etc. They are KUSA registered. They advertised with the slogan "Breeders of Top Quality Miniature Schnauzers" and on the website the owner Elmarie Cilliers said "Breeding miniature schnauzers has been a passion of mine since 1984".
Oh dear ! Someone was telling porkies!!!!
How it got closed down?
Prior to starting Schnauzer Friends South Africa there was no PLATFORM for schnauzer owners/lovers to chat and share information. We have now provided it. One of the repercussions of this platform is that people now see Schnauzer Friends as the Schnauzer Go "Ombudsmun". Disgruntled schnauzer puppy and dog owners regularly contact us to to complain and Roodewal Kennels was about 98% of all complaints we received.
The story was consistent - Roodewal kennel delivered sick puppies that died after a few days, and then Elmarie Cilliers (the owner) offered to replace the puppy or pay towards the medical bills. Often the dogs get sick with genetic diseases when they are older. People fell for the Kennels glossy ads and trusting words splattered across magazines, the kennel website all sorts of forums in South Africa and internationally. And yes, this kennel was KUSA registered! The reality was a different story. Please be CAREFUL!
Please read some of the Roodewal Kennel feedback under "Horror Stories" at the bottom of this page.
Here is a link to an article about what the SPCA found at the Roodewal Farm. Rescued: The dark side of breeding. http://www.sandtonspca.org.za/rescued-the-dark-side-of-breeding/
Here is an extract from the article.....
"Our colleagues from Highveld Ridge SPCA recently seized 76 Schnauzers from Roodewal Kennels in Ermelo after a raid on the breeders premises. The dogs were found in appalling conditions, lived in wire cages and slept in rat infested holding areas. The kennels were found to be filthy and some of the dogs were sleeping in their own faeces. While being kept as breeding machines the dogs were found to have many ailments and illnesses due to the lack of care, typical of a puppy mill. Schnauzer friends South Africa assisted the SPCA in identifying this horrific situation. The reality is that every year, retail pet stores across South Africa sell thousands of dogs, while millions of dogs enter shelters across South Africa."
One contract breeder had over 75 breeding schnauzers, delivering on average 20 miniature schnauzer puppies to Roodewal Kennel in Ermelo each month. These puppies were then sold under the Roodewal Kennel name. That is why they have ALWAYS had schnauzer puppies available - and you were never allowed to visit the Roodewal Farm. Sometimes the owner of Roodewal Kennel did not even see the puppies and they went straight from the contract breeder to the new home!
One of the Roodewal contract breeders says that Elmarie told them proudly a few times that she had over 40 contract breeders working for her (and is prepared to say this in court). Elmarie brought the puppies from them at around 7 weeks of age for between R1500 and R2500 and sold them under the Roodewal banner! We have located 5 of these contract breeders and between them they have 220 dogs - many pregnant. We are finding more and more as they realize that they have all these mouths to feed and no income as the marketing leg has disappeared. They were not allowed to sell the puppies themselves.
Just or fun have a look at this marketing video. As you can see there are no adult dogs shown because now we all know where they were .....
Do your homework! This is not illegal - just ethically wrong and that is why a lot of the puppies were sick. The only way to stop it is not to support them! This is money making greed - no regards for the little schnauzers or for the people who buy them.Roodewal Newsletter ......
Also here is an extract from the May 2015 Roodewal Kennel Newsletter - you can just feel the love ....
There are "specials" on blacks pups, discounts if you buy more than one puppy etc. On page 6 you can even see the list of the puppy litters arriving and the contract breeder code and file name!
For your reading pleasure you can download the entire news letter here...
|File Size:||664 kb|
The Horror Stories
- "We had this little pup from Roodewal Kennel for 2 nights and he spent his next (and last) 2 nights at the vet before passing away. This puppy suffered terribly. Parvo, distemper, and worms like nothing ever witnessed before! "
- "We bought a puppy from Roodewal Kennel and 5 days later our hearts were broken because she died from parvovirus. She suffered so much,it killed us. And all she could reply was, sorry this kind of thing happens, I'll replace it for you. Needless to say we never replied and still to this day our hearts break when we think of our puppy."
- "I also bought a dog from Roodewal Kennel. I received two by means of air transport to the Cape. When we received he smelled terrible. His skin was infected and we had to treat him for six weeks with antibiotics and special food formulas. He had to be bathed weekly with a medicated shampoo. It was an incredibly expensive undertaking. When I confronted her per email in regards to the poor condition due to malnutrition I never got a response from her."
- "We bought a puppy from Roodewal Kennel and we have had endless visits to the vet, she also offered to "swop out" the puppy for us, like it was a pair of shoes that weren't fitting probably."
- I bought a schnauzer from Roodewal Kennel I went to the farm I was heartbroken to see the condition of the cages the puppies were in. The mother looked dirty and unkept. I did take a puppy. The puppy did not know what grass was. I've since bought a 2nd one from a different breeder and the difference is incredible . My 2nd one runs and interacts with other people easier than my first. My first is scared of other people interaction happens in the first 9 weeks these puppies do not get any human interaction at all. And it has a direct effect on the dogs personality. I do not regret taking my little puppy I saved it and love her dearly."
- My dog is from Roodewal Kennel and he is going blind at 7. R she does not genetic test her dogs. Avoid the heartache and have your baby tested.
- I have met a few Roodewal Kennel Schnauzers over the years and they do not appear to be well bred specimens and did not seem to conform to breed standards ie coat, size, eyes, legs etc. I am no expert by any means, it is merely my opinion. When I bought my boy, Murlo, I was warned by breeders to avoid Roodewal Kennel. Sausage factory were the words used....
- When I was looking for a puppy, I came across Roodewal Kennel, as she advertises EVERYWHERE. When I enquired, I became suspicious when she said she could guarantee a puppy at any time. I must tell her when my ideal day of delivery would be and she could give me an 8 week old puppy then. I must also tell her exactly what my puppy must look like and she will provide! How bizarre?!! She asked NO questions about me / my situation. I noticed that the photo she sent me of the puppy was the same photo she's been using on gumtree for months! I'm so glad I trusted my instinct and avoided her. I now have my gorgeous Daisy from a good, responsible breeder! Also, be careful with Roodewal Kennel because she is friends with the local vet so you cannot get unbiased feedback from him
- I have a home-from-home doggie boarding facility and a Client of mine bought 2 pups from Roodewal Kennel Kennels and one died and the other had to be put to sleep 2 days later.
- "I bought my Rocky and Zorro from Roodewal Kennel.......so true in what the people are saying, the same was said to me. If only I knew better.... her business is so professionally set up on the internet. I bought two puppies from her that was air transported to the Cape.....when we received the puppies one of them was completely of balance and was falling over the whole time and could not stay upright. That same night we took him to the vet that confirmed that he had a kind of obstruction/growth on the inside where his tail was, so the puppy could not defecate, they had to euthanize him......the vet informed her and she carried the cost and the same week sent me a new puppy........I could not believe the state the dogs arrived in......their skin was not healthy at all and also had to be treated........Zorro and Rocky will be one in June and I am so happy we can give them the love that they deserve....currently they are healthy."
- I bought my boy in Jan 2014 from Elmarie at Roodewal Kennel! Well, I have a boy, but it was suppose to be a girl.. I ordered a little girl. I stay in CT and never had the opportunity to see the dogs! She was very eager to send me a girl a week later, but what do I do with the little male puppy that I already received? And he was with me for a week already, how do I just give it back..... You can have 2 then, she said, and wanted me to pay for both!! He was beautiful! BUT! When he arrived in that little cage. He was dirty! Smelled like he came out of a chicken barn! Skin was dry and had 'dandruff'... I struggled months to get his ear fixed! It smelled and itched! Some fluid came out of the ear constantly. Kept scratching there and was off balanced! He was scared. Actually still is! If I raise my voice he just cramps into this small little bundle onto the floor! From the day I received him! You can tell that he was hurt and hit! Cost shitload of money! I STILL have the documentation from the 'girl' I was suppose to get! Never received my boys paperwork! The chip he got in isn't his!! She sent me a separate chip to put in again, but there is one in already! What I would like to know, who is the Vet signing off these papers for her?? Because in order to sell the 'girl' I was suppose to get, you have to give the paperwork for injections to next owner! And I still have it after 1.5 yrs! Never really liked her operation!!! Im a Christian, BUT if someone tells me in every message and email they sent me - God Bless... You must be careful... They are the ones walking with Jesus under the arm and the Devil in the arse ! (Sorry for this expression but its the only way I could describe this woman now)... Trust all those pups is away from her! She is heartless, and doesn't even know her own dogs! They should fine her and close down her business!!!! And also investigate the Vet!! Cheers everyone!"
INFO: Recognised schnauzer breeders normally have a waiting list for puppies. The reason for this is that they provide quality puppies, who are brought up in a well researched home environment with the best care and nutrition. The dogs and litters are loved and cared for, so the chances of buying a sociable, loving pup is very good. Do your homework!
Click on the comments number on the below Facebook post to read some more comments about peoples experiences. The Roodewal Kennel mentioned in the comments was the largest schnauzer breeder in South Africa and had amazing glossy ads and promises.
The reality was a different story.
Please be CAREFUL!
Below is a link to a Schnauzer Friends Facebook posts where you read the communities comments yourself.... (click on the comments number) under each post)
INFO: SAD: I have people reporting the same schnauzer puppy GREEDER over and over to Schnauzer Friends. Today I had two...Posted by Schnauzer Friends - South Africa on Tuesday, April 14, 2015
and an update and still more comments about sick puppies ....
UPDATE: ROODEWAL: We are the doggies voice! Some interesting developments behind the scenes with the "Roodewal" puppy...Posted by Schnauzer Friends - South Africa on Monday, May 4, 2015
Another update .....
RESCUE: ROODEWAL UPDATE. THANKS to everyone who has spoken up and assisted in getting the Roodewal "REAL STORY" out in...Posted by Schnauzer Friends - South Africa on Thursday, May 7, 2015
An open letter to the contract breeders ....
RESCUE: An open letter to a Roodewal contract breeder who is asking Schnauzer Friends what happens to his business and...Posted by Schnauzer Friends - South Africa on Thursday, May 7, 2015
1 May 2015 - The rehoming of the ex-contract breeder schnauzers starts...
RESCUE: JOHANNESBURG. Great News! Schnauzer Friends has had over 50 of a Roodewal ex-contract breeder schnauzers...Posted by Schnauzer Friends - South Africa on Sunday, May 10, 2015
11 May - A letter and response about seeing the puppies parents
RESCUE: ROODEWAL Puppy Farm: An answer to a Roodewal/Elmarie supporter and fan......"Hi Libby. One of the aims of...Posted by Schnauzer Friends - South Africa on Monday, May 11, 2015
22 May 2015 - Looking for Foster homes
RESCUE: HELP FOSTERING Adult Schnauzers - Helping to Mend Broken Souls. We need people to assist with...Posted by Schnauzer Friends - South Africa on Thursday, May 21, 2015
22 May 2015 - Puppy selling continues ...
RESCUE: DISAPPOINTED! Schnauzer Friends is getting many messages from our community who are sad and disgusted that...Posted by Schnauzer Friends - South Africa on Friday, May 22, 2015
22 May Thank you
RESCUE: High five from puppy Thomas! A big THANK YOU to everyone who has donated, adopted, helped, offered to help,...Posted by Schnauzer Friends - South Africa on Thursday, May 21, 2015
23 May 2015 - Project Update
RESCUE: PUPPY FARM RESCUE PROJECT UPDATE: Schnauzer Friends South Africa is busy with a large rescue project to re-home...Posted by Schnauzer Friends - South Africa on Friday, May 22, 2015